Sunday, March 4, 2012

Finally... Progress!

After my setbacks with the hole saws, I was finally able to make some progress. I had a terrible time getting the hole saws to work, so once I was able to do that I felt like I was on top of the world. The holes for the receptacles are now cut.


Once I had all of the holes cut, another issue popped up. The two inch holes that I cut were not the right size. Thankfully they were too small rather than too large. The receptacles for the heating elements have a very slight taper to them that makes them 2-1/4" at the flange. Had I noticed this I could have just cut the 2-1/4" hole from the start and skipped the 2" hole saw altogether. Now I had to file/grind an eighth of an inch off of the four holes in the middle of the picture above. It was time consuming, but I am glad it is over now. I also cut the first holes for the heating element enclosures, but I did not take any pictures yet. I'll have some up when I make more progress on that front.
I did a test fit for all of the holes that have been punched or cut in the panel. Above are the receptacles and below is the front panel. I am very happy that everything fit as expected.

I still have some work to do before I can paint. I need to get the holes drilled for screws for the receptacles and the front name plate. I also need to cut the hole where the SSRs will attach to the heat sink on the top of the panel.I am getting close and hoping that once I can get everything painted that I will have some smooth sailing for once.

For more information on the plans I am following please visit The Electric Brewery. There are wonderful write ups detailing every step of the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment