Monday, March 5, 2012

Why Brew?

People sometimes ask me why I brew my own beer. Why don’t I just buy it from the store? To me the answer is pretty simple. Brewing is fun. I like handing someone a beer and being able to say, “Yeah. I made that.” For me brewing is also a stress reliever. When I am brewing, it doesn’t matter what happened at work this week or anything else that is going on. I can just focus on the sweet smells coming from the kettle.

There are plenty of other reasons that people homebrew. Maybe they can’t get good beer near them. Maybe they discovered their new favorite beer while travelling and want to be able to drink it at home. Some brew to have beer cheaper than they can buy it for. Others brew for the pride of making something better than they can buy at the store.

There is some aspect of brewing that will appeal to just about anyone. Here are a few examples:

Artists – brewing provides a creative outlet to make a delicious beverage to share with friends and family. You can use endless combinations of ingredients to bring together wonderful flavors and aromas.

Scientists – brewing involves thermodynamics, chemistry, and biology. You can scratch the surface or dive deep into the processes and reactions that brewing entails.

DIYers – building homebrew equipment is a large component of the hobby for many homebrewers. There are projects large and small that can make brewing easier or just plain cooler.

Why do you brew?

No comments:

Post a Comment