Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Hop Profile: Zythos

As I was peering through the door to the hop fridge at the homebrew store I as getting worried. I couldn't find Simcoe or Amarillo hops for the new version of my Guinea Pig IPA. Then I noticed a sign on the door that introduced a new hop 'variety,' Zythos. It was described to provide similar flavors and aromas to Amarillo and Simcoe so I grabbed a couple ounces to substitute into my recipe. I knew I needed to learn more about this hop, but I figured it was worth a shot.

Zythos is not a hop variety. It is a proprietary hop blend being offered by Hopunion. The following is from a Sept. 26, 2011 press release:
ZYTHOS™ ─ a proprietary hop blend created to embody the powerful tradition and aroma you expect for your finest ales and IPA brews. With targeted brewing values of 11.9% alpha and 5.0% beta, ZYTHOS is an IPA style blend created to optimize and exceed the aroma characteristics you require.
The high alpha-acid levels provide a big bitterness boost to the beer. This hop blend is also said to have low co-humulone levels. That means the hop blend should have a smoother finish. Hops with high co-humulone levels are associated with a certain harshness that can be left in a beer.

I don't know if this hop can replace the rather unique flavors that Amarillo and Simcoe provide, but I am certainly looking forward to the results.

2 comments:

  1. It had great flavor. Not too much aroma, but that is more recipe than hops. Next time I will dry hop it and see the difference.

    ReplyDelete