Saturday, July 21, 2012

Kettles Complete!

It took a lot longer than it should have, but I finally finished my new brew kettles!  Summer finally arrived in a big way and that really slowed me down.  I suddenly wanted to be outside all of the time.  During this time, I also broke my brew ban.  When my friend was visiting for the National Homebrewers Conference we just had to brew up a batch!  I'll have a post up on the rye pale ale we brewed soon.

But enough about why I haven't made progress as quickly, let just look at the shiny things!  First step was installing the HERMS coil in the HLT.  That was a much easier process than I was expecting.  I think that is largely due to picking up a tube cutter that was able to cut stainless steel.  I was able to quickly trim the ends of the coils needed rather than struggling with a hacksaw.


The last step was wiring the heating elements in the HLT and the boil kettle.  Once I figured out an easy way to strip the rubber coating off of the 10/3 wire, this was a pretty easy job.  The only issue I had was that I had misplaced the grounding screws for the gang boxes.  So I had to go pick up a couple new ones.




So revisiting the list of what I needed to finish:
  • Have the outlet installed
  • Finish brew stand (wood shelves, control panel mount)
  • Pump cord rewire
  • Wire heating elements
  • Recirculating coil install
  • Counter-flow chiller assembly
  • Make hoses with quick disconnects
  • Ventilation hood
I don't know why I keep setting dates for when this will be finished.  I don't meet them ever.  So someday I will brew on this thing.  The ventilation hood is not needed to brew.  I'll just need to make sure I have good airflow in the garage.  Of course if I procrastinate long enough the hood will become necessary because it will be cold in the garage with the doors open.

No comments:

Post a Comment