Monday, July 2, 2012

What a Month

After my last post, I had a whirlwind end of the month.  We had some wonderful visits from friends and I attended the National Homebrewers Conference (more on that in a future post).  The first friend that came by helped out with some of the build, but after that everything was put away until tonight.  I have still made a lot of progress so prepare yourself for a number of updates!

For starters, I finished the control panel!  After receiving the terminals I needed, I was able to wire up the SSRs that will send power to the heating elements.  The only drawback to finishing the panel is that I am not able to test it yet.  I don't have the outlet installed that will power the brewery so I will have to wait to do any potential trouble shooting.

I finished the temperature probes for the kettles as well.  The last two probes were assembled with greater ease than the first one.  I guess I learned whatever lessons were necessary while making the first one to make the last two smooth sailing.

I mentioned in my last post that I was starting to drill holes in my shiny new kettles.  Once I got past the shock of putting holes in my kettles and got some new carbide bits, it was surprisingly easy.  The punches that I used for making clean holes in the kettles are just wonderful.  After I had all of the pilot holes drilled I realized I had neglected to purchase the 13/16" punch I needed to install all of the ball valves on the kettles.  Thankfully I was able to get one in pretty quickly and finish the job.


My friend helped me install all of the ball valves and the heating elements on the kettles.  Above is a picture of the HLT with the heating element and the ball valves for the recirculating coil installed.  I haven't wired the heating elements yet.  I am saving that for last on the kettles because it is easier to move them around now without a 6 ft cord hanging off of them.  I was glad my friend was there to help because it made things go a lot faster and smoother.


Above is a picture of the inside of the boil kettle.  The heating element, temp probe and Hop Stopper are all installed.  The temp probe still has the protective covering on it which is why it appears so large and white.

My friend also helped me assemble the brew stand.  This is another job that was much easier with two people.  For the brew stand I am taking some inspiration from the Electric Brewery forums and using an industrial shelving unit I bought at a big box hardware store.  Below is a picture of the kettles aligned on the stand (boil kettle, mash tun, HLT respectively).


Tonight I was able to get back to building and I managed to get all of the fittings installed on my Chugger pumps.  After playing with the amount of tephlon tape to use for various fittings I was able to get everything aligned as I wanted.  I also managed to tear my right hand up by not paying attention to where I was grabbing the threaded elbows.  I have a number of little cuts on the palm of my hand.


The list of things to do is quickly diminishing and I am getting excited to finally brew on the system.  Here is what I have left to do:

  • Have the outlet installed
  • Finish brew stand (wood shelves, control panel mount)
  • Pump cord rewire
  • Wire heating elements
  • Recirculating coil install
  • Counter-flow chiller assembly
  • Make hoses with quick disconnects
  • Ventilation hood

The only thing that is out of my control is having the outlet installed.  I am at the whim of the electrician's schedule.  If all goes to plan I should be brewing by the end of July!

No comments:

Post a Comment